Local Egg Bake
This is wonderful for a special breakfast or super supper!
Author: Cape Locally Grown
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 lb. Pork sausage
- ½ cup chopped kale or wild spring greens (dandelion, dock) optional
- ½ loaf Sourdough bread cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups grated cheddar, asiago or mozzerrella cheese
- 8 Eggs
- 1½ cups Milk
- 1 tsp Seasoning salt
- 1 Tbsp Fresh herbs
- ½ cup dried tomatoes or peppers
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 lb Optional: Lamb instead of pork
- 1 lb Optional: Beef instead of pork
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook meat in large skillet until done then add greens to skillet;and wilt.
- Spread the bread cubes in 9x13-inch baking dish. Layer with the meat and cheese.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl until foamy. Add milk, seasoning salt, fresh herbs and green onion(reserving some for garnish); beat until well blended. Pour evenly over top. Press bread cubes lightly into egg mixture until completely covered. Let stand 10 minutes or overnight.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until center is set and top is golden brown. Garnish with green onions and fresh herbs.